Information and Referal Specialist
Purpose and Scope of Job: This position is responsible for providing appropriate information and referral services on health and human service programs to inquirers; linking them to appropriate resources, and advocating on their behalf when necessary.
Essential Duties: Information & Referral Services - 75%
1. Answer incoming phone calls to provide information and referral service activities including intake, assessment and referral; provide excellent customer service
2. Respond to callers with patience, objectivity and nonjudgmental attitude
. 3. Provide advocacy for inquirers when needed by interacting with clients and agencies in resolving problems and providing information.
4. Maintain confidentiality of client records
. 5. Use effective crisis intervention skills when/where appropriate during calls.
6. Ability to work on-call, during times of disaster including evenings, weekends and holidays.
7. Understanding of United Way of Allen County’s initiatives and departments.
Call Documentation – 10% 1. Follows program protocols in completing client demographics, referrals and needs documentation.
2. Makes sure documentation accurately reflects what transpired during the call.
3. Completes optional fields whenever information is available.
4. Writes clear, concise case notes when required.
5. Accurately completes all Data Forms as required for appropriate calls.
Resource and Database Maintenance – 5%
1. Actively seek new and updated resource information and report appropriately.
2. Contact agencies to verify that agency and program information is accurate.
3. Assist in updating resource information.
4. Assist with maintenance of resource files.
Follow-Up Services – 5%
1. Conducts follow-ups as mandated by agency protocol.
2. Appropriately documents all follow-up results and outcomes.
Relationship Management (CRM) – 5%
1. Meet commitments, respond promptly to customer needs, and solicit feedback to continually reinforce and strengthen the organization’s reputation with all constituents
2. Provide professional, courteous, service to both internal and external customers
Minimum Qualifications: Education: Associate’s degree in human services, social work or related field
. Experience: At least 1 year of related experience in crisis hotline or information and referral service desired.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual verbal skills in English and Spanish a plus. Ability to maintain a courteous and professional attitude at all times. Must have active listening and problem solving skills. Knowledge of community, regional and state human and social service resources. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Ability to work in a demanding/stressful environment. Must be flexible in a constantly changing environment. Must be willing and able to meet AIRS certification standards. Demonstrated personal computer skills with MS Office applications and other software applications.
- Contact Person: Julie Thiel
- Contact Person's Position: HR Director